It’s December!! I’m so excited for Christmas, I’ve been decorating and diy-ing like crazy! Not to mention, playing Christmas music 24-7. 🙂
Amidst all my decorating, I found this amazing set of tissue paper at Tuesday Morning- red and black and white with Christmas text. It’s perfect for the decor that I have going in my basement, so I decided to create a christmas mixed media canvas as an artsy touch to match my theme.
I am in the midst of creating a video for this, but I’ve run into technical difficulties. Hopefully I’ll be able to restore some corrupted files. But I wanted to share this with you anyway. I was so worried in the early stages that it wasn’t going to turn out well, but it did and I’m so happy I have to share!
- I added several layers of tissue paper with gel medium
- Tim Holtz has an amazing line of washi tape- using 3 0r 4 of his designs, I added them outward from the middle of the canvas.
- Stencils and texture paste were next- adding some texture to the surface in the shape of clocks and calligraphy.
- I added ink in several places- distress ink and india ink to dirty things up a bit and highlight some of the stenciled bits.
- Several christmas papers, mixed with a bit more tissue paper, formed the layers of paper in the middle. I used gel medium and foam tape to adhere them together.
- Chipboard!!! I painted the bigger pieces with white gesso and then highlighted them in red. For the smaller stars, I adhered them to the canvas first and then painted them.
- I used snow effects paste to add more texture the the chipboard and various places on the paper.
- A few splatters of some fluid acrylic paint, and it’s finished!
I have never done any christmas mixed media pieces, or any holiday themed art pieces for that matter, but I love it! Have any of you created any pieces for Christmas? I’d love to see them!